On To Your Regularly Scheduled Daily BookADay mojo.
New reviews are up in the BookADay Book Review section.
If you have a story idea that you'd like to see in BookADay, let me know.
Luke Johnson wrote a nice essay for London's The Telegraph. In it, he talks about the virtue and hardship of being in book publishing. He's another one that is worried that the Internet is a biggest challenge to the book publishing industry. I disagree. I think the Internet will only enhance books that are out there. The industry's biggest challenge is to stop living in its dinosaur ways (and there is a movement for change happening right now). As we progress into the future , we will find new ways to sell and new ways to read, although I'll tell you, there will be some hardheads, myself included, that will always love the visceral feeling of turning a book's pages.
In other news, accoridng to the Houston Chronicle, the Book Awards are about to get more fabulous. People are going to vote online and the ceremony will be televised nationally. Think the People's Choice Awards with more reclusive people. Glitz and glammor aside, which sort of chills my bones, I think having an award ceremony that is voted on by the people is a good idea. It gets people more invested in books, possibly starting a national conversation about books in the same way your average reality show is talked about the next day at the office cooler.
It's Sunday, so it's time for the BestSeller List.
Book Sense: Bestsellers From Independent Booksellers
Trade Paperback: Fiction
Week of 1.27.05, Sales For Week Ending 1.23.05
1. Housseini, Khaled. The Kite Runner. Riverhead: 384 pgs. Times on List: 39. Last Position: 1.
2. Haddon, Mark. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time. Vintage: 240 pgs.
Times on List: 36. Last Position: 2. (Read our book review.)
3. Dunant, Sarah. The Birth of Venus. Random House: 416 pgs. Times on List: 8.
Last Position: 3.
4. Jones, Edward P. The Known World. Amistad: 432 pgs. Times on List:35. Last Position:6.
5. Niffenegger, Audrey. The Time Traveler's Wife. Harcourt/Harvest: 536 pgs.
Times on List: 35. Last Position: 4. (Read our book review.)
6. Eudenides, Jeffrey. Middlesex. Picador: 544 pgs. Times on List:71. Last Position:7.
7. Monk Kidd, Sue. The Secret Life of Bees. Penguin: 320 pgs. Times on List: 103.
Last Position: 5.
8. Lahiri, Jhumpa. The Namesake. Mariner: 304. Times on List:26. Last Position:10.
9. Gregory, Philippa. The Other Boleyn Girl. Scribner: 672 pgs. Times on List:19.
10. Chevalier, Tracy. The Lady and the Unicorn. Plume: 256 pgs. Times on List:3.