6.21.2004

Page Turner Test

A friend asked me last night how I determine what to read. There are a couple of ways:

1. Buzz. Who else has read it? Did they love it? Did they think it ended well? (I think the most depressing part of reading is investing all the time and finding the writer just stopped-- creating an ending that is completely unsatisfying.)

2. Genre. I'll read just about anything. Some genres I'll just move to the top of the list quicker.

3. Page Turner Test. This is the biggest one. If I'm in the library or a bookstore, I'll pick the book up. I'll flip to a random page. I'll read it. The whole page. If I'm interested enough to turn the page, I'll bring the book home with me. If I'm doing a mental happy dance because the blasted page is finally over, it stays unread.

_________________
Today's Reads

Lighthousekeeping, Jeanette Winterson, Pg. 193.

No comments: